Even though I’ve been into baking for a few years now, I’ve never tried baking cinnamon buns before. Which is a surprise because I love them!
Receiving the Cinnamon Buns kit from Bakedin gave me the opportunity to try my hand at making some. My favourite part was when the house filled with the aroma of the cinnamon buns baking- bliss!
P.S. Everyone who sampled one of these buns enjoyed them.
• 1 medium egg
• 115g unsalted butter (50g + 50g + 15g)
• 180ml milk (165ml + 1 tbsp)
• 1 tsp salt
• 250g/9oz plain or wholemeal plain flour, plus extra for dusting
• 1½ tsp fast-action yeast
• 4 tbsp caster sugar
• 2 tbsp dark muscovado sugar
• 2 tbsp cinnamon
- Rub together the flour, salt and 65g of butter until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs.
- Add 180ml luke warm milk and the yeast and caster sugar. Mix until a dough is formed.
- Knead for 5-10 minutes, then leave to rise until doubled in size (60-90 mins).
- Roll the risen dough into a 40x25cm rectangle and then spread with 60g soft butter.
- Sprinkle with dark muscovado sugar and cinnamon then roll the dough up lengthways.
- Cut the roll into 12-14 slices, then arrange into lightly greased foil trays.
- Leave to rise for 20-30 mins. Pre-heat the oven to 180oc/ Gas Mark 4 (160oC fan assisted).
- Brush the risen buns with a little milk, then bake for 15-18 mins until golden.
- Mix 20g of butter with the icing sugar and 2 tbsps of milk to make a thick white icing. Spread this over the buns whilst still hot.